Sunday, June 6, 2010

Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for?

So, the last few weekends I have been watching the Lord of the Rings films, tonight I culminated the experience with the Return of the King. In my humble opinion it is far from the best, it certainly packs the action where it lacks in what is brought forth in the first one.

For certain, I cry everytime I watch this movie. No excuses, I shed a tear, there are many an epic scene/emotional scene which I just go to bits over. So, why not, my top 5 or so epic moments from Return of the King.

In no order.

1) When Gandalf rides out to help Faramir and his boys. Under the attack of Nazgul Gandalf rides out and does what he does best, use some crazy magic to make some light to someone...you know what? I don't know, it is jsut a really nice visual, combined with the music makes it very inspiring to me, the contrast in the scene as the light sky of the Free people's clashes with the darkened scorched sky of Sauron. Powerful stuff.



2) The charge of Rohan, need I say more? Fashionably late never rang so true. Show up, kill some Orcs, blow your horn, make an epic speech:

Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises! [rides past his men, hitting their spears with his sword as he goes]
Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride to ruin and the world's ending!
Death!




3) The Gandalf-Pippin talk. My only hope is that it is as great as Gandalf makes it out be. Doesn't sound so bad after all.

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it.
Pippin: What? Gandalf?... See what?
Gandalf: White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: [smiling] Well, that isn't so bad.
Gandalf: [softly] No... No it isn't.




4) I would say the Aragorn speech to inspire his men, but when I look back. I honestly think the better part is when he looks back, "For Frodo" and charges in. heroic.



5) By far, the best part of the movie. The bow. The very King of Gondor, the leader of the free people's bows to Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. "My friends, you bow to no one". Truly, they are the greatest heroes ever. They gave everything they could, and for Frodo it took everything he had.

We set out to save the Shire, Sam and it has been saved - but not for me.



All you have to do is look at his face, his face says it all. Things will never be the same. the burden of the Ring was far too much and he payed dearly. I many ways I think the Ring is a symbol, more over it is a representation of the burden(s) we all carry with us. The crosses we all must bear.

Unfortunately for some they are just too heavy, the cuts to deep and the scars too painful. Ultimately Frodo 'escapes' the world of Middle Earth, and with it the pain.

If only it was that easy for the rest of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment