Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Someday this place is going to burn...

...is your whole life in there waiting?

Had a ninteresting conversation with a man on the subway today, I noticed his ring and hardhat and asked him if he was a civil engineer. Imagine my surprise when he was. I told him of my plan of a life of mediocrity-that is-cushy overpain government job. He informed me that there is (what he believes)an unwritten rule amongst employers that public sector workers have an ingrained work ethic that is, well, less than good. As a result if you go City, you go for life, because the jump to public sector is apparently quite difficult.

He also informed me that Grad school is not really needed, currently civils are in high demand, all over the place, but espceially here in Toronto. The recession hurt structural but that is all changed now. In the two years you get your masters other people have worked and gained real world valuable experience. I dunno how I feel about this advice, I just feel that the masters will be such an innvaluable asset. But again, I am young and naive, what do I know?

That's just the way it is I guess. I need to speak with more engineers working in the real world, get a real taste of life.

Unfortunately I can't operate the easy way, make a 'g' a day, selling crack to the kids. Whatever, gotta get payed right? That's the way it is.

1 comment: